The objective of the EUROSTRUCT Training School at the University of Twente is the exchange of knowledge and experience in quality control, to encourage awareness and responsibility of structural engineers towards the needs of society, and to encourage actions necessary for the progress of quality control in bridges and structures.
The school aims at teaching the most recent developments on performance indicators and performance goals, focusing on the training on some contemporary topics around this field.
In this training school, trainees will be familiarized with emerging digital technologies for inspection, structural health monitoring and decision making, such as Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs), digital twin models, computer vision-based monitoring, machine learning models, and their integration into bridge management decision making processes. The EuroStruct training school provides targeted training for young researchers, professionals and decision makers, who will closely collaborate during hands-on problem-solving sessions. Trainees will be able to use the gained knowledge for their daily practice and research projects, and are expected in the future to influence and contribute to the bridge management aspects.
The event is organized by the EuroStruct organization and the University of Twente, Faculty of Engineering Technology, Construction Management and Engineering Department.
Venue: University of Twente, Enschede, the Netherlands
Time: 27 – 30 June 2022
Capacity: 10-25 trainees
Fee: 350 € per person (Bank Transfer – IBAN: PT50 0010 0000 5533 2120 0016 3 // Swift: BBPIPTPL)
Trainers list of experts:
- Prof. José Matos, Department of Civil Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Minho, Portugal
- Dr. Irina Stipanović, Faculty of Engineering Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands
- Mr. Amir Kedar, Kedmor Engineers, Israel
- Dr. Rolands Kromanis, Faculty of Engineering Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands
- Ms. Maria Xofi, Faculty of Engineering Technology, University of Twente, Netherlands
- Dr. Zaharah Bukhsh, Industrial Engineering and Innovation Sciences, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands
- Dr. Mário Coelho, Department of Civil Engineering, School of Engineering, University of Minho, Portugal
This workshop tries to harmonize a common decision-making framework through practical examples acknowledging the differences that may exist for practical implementation. The hands-on approach of the case studies and methodologies are expected to create an in-depth understanding around decisionmaking approaches for bridges and promote a healthy discussion around the needs, approaches and interpretation of information obtained from individual bridges and bridge networks. Rationalizing the process of arriving at safe and efficient management of bridge assets will also be focused on in this training school.
The training school attempts to:
- Provide practical and modern tools and impart them on the trainees;
- Act as a formal platform for dialogue, discussion and consensus-development of bridge networks for trainees with diverse technical and experiential backgrounds;
- Increasing the impact of research on policy makers, regulatory bodies and national decision makers as well as the private sector.
The training school addresses the core value of EUROSTRUCT by promoting tangible and meaningful interaction among engineers, owners, inspectors and researchers to arrive at an EU-wide approach for managing the performance and safety of its bridges and the connection of such approaches to how such maintenance and management is carried out at a global level.
The school will be led by leading experts in the field of bridge assessment, structural health monitoring and decision making for infrastructure management. Within the school following specific topics will be covered:
- Performance-based assessment of existing bridges, using UAVs and digital platform;
- Computer vision-based bridge monitoring;
- Network level decision making using performance indicators.
Registration deadline: 12 June 2022